Every year, the Louisiana Pro-Life Oratory Committee sponsors a pro-life oratory contest among high school juniors and seniors from throughout the state. Students will address the issues of abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, or embryonic stem cell research in a 5-7 minute oral presentation.
Winners in local contests will compete in the state oratory contest on May 6th during the Louisiana Knights of Columbus Convention in Lafayette. The state winner will have the opportunity to compete in the national contest during the National Right to Life Convention during the summer.
Contact Jacob Tonglet, state director at email@example.com or 866.463.5433 to learn more about times and other information for the current year. Events from around the state will be posted as we receive information about them.
The Lafayette Oratory Contest will be held on February 15th at 10am at the Immaculata Center 1408 Carmel Dr Lafayette, LA 70501. Lunch will be provided. Cash prizes will be awarded.
For guildlines, registration, and more information, contact Kelly Chapman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 337-261-5653
The Baton Rouge Oratory Contest will be held virtually this year. Submission deadline is Wednesday, April 5, at 11 p.m.. Cash prizes will be awarded.
For guidelines, registration, and more information, contact Jacob Tonglet at email@example.com or 504-452-0653.
The Central Louisiana Oratory Contest will be held in-person this year. The contest is Tuesday, March 21st at 6 p.m. at Holy Savior Menard High School. Cash prizes will be awarded.
For guidelines, registration, and more information, contact Abby Rose Nichols at firstname.lastname@example.org or 318.668.2357.
Download Speech Guidelines
The New Orleans Oratory Contest is scheduled for Wednesday March 29th, 7 p.m., at Jesuit High School. Cash prizes will be awarded.
For guidelines, registration, and more information, contact Ashley Gilliam at Ashley@prolifelouisiana.org or 504-754-8807.
Louisiana Oratory Contest Details:
- The winner of a local Pro-Life Oratory Contest is allowed to compete in the Louisiana State Oratory Contest, which is held May 6, in coordination with the Knights of Columbus Convention. Local oratory contests will often award a small cash prize to the winner and runner-up of their competition.
- The winner of the Louisiana Oratory contest competes in the National Oratory Contest at the National Right to Life Convention held every summer.
- The cash prizes of the Louisiana Oratory Contest is:
- First Place: $500 plus expenses to attend the National Right to Life Convention (not to exceed $1000)
- Second Place: $250
- The contest is non-denominational and originates with National Right to Life.
- Topics to choose from:
- Tragedy of Abortion
- Tragedy of Euthanasia
- Tragedy of Infanticide
- Tragedy of Embryonic Stem Cell Research
- Talks must be between 5-7 minutes and do not have to be memorized.
- The National Right to Life Jane B. Thompson Oratory Contest takes place annually at the National Right to Life Convention (the statewide Louisiana winner will compete in this).
Local Louisiana Pro-Life Oratory Contest Coordinators:
If you don’t see a contest in your area, please contact Jacob Tonglet (contact information at the top of the page).
- Baton Rouge: Jacob Tonglet, 504-452-0653, email@example.com
- Central Louisiana: Abby Rose Nichols- 318-668-2357 AbbyRose@prolifelouisiana.org
- Houma/Thibodaux: Peggy Fabre- 985-868-3879
- Lafayette: Jacob Tonglet, 504-452-0653, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lake Charles: Rickard Newman – 337-439-7400; email@example.com
- LaPlace: Emily Beauchamp- 985-652-3899 or 985-210-1545
- Monroe: Jack Wright- 318-387-0993
- New Orleans: Ashley Gilliam – Ashley@prolifelouisiana.org
- St. Tammany Parish: Natalie Barber
Abbeville’s Henry Nguyen Wins National Oratory Contest
Click Here to Read More!